- 1 Can you make a planter box out of wood?
- 2 Do I need to line a wooden planter box?
- 3 Is it cheaper to build your own planter box?
- 4 How do you fill a wooden planter box?
- 5 What is the best wood to use for planter boxes?
- 6 What do you put in the bottom of a wooden planter?
- 7 Should I line my raised garden bed with plastic?
- 8 How deep should planter boxes be for vegetables?
- 9 How much does a wooden planter box cost?
- 10 What do you put in the bottom of a planter for drainage?
Can you make a planter box out of wood?
Untreated wood or cedar will work well for this project as they are both easy to work with and can hold up against the natural elements your planter will be exposed to. For a small 4×2 ft (121.9×60. 9 cm) planter, you can buy a 12-foot (365.76-cm) board, which you will cut down to form the sides of the planter.
Do I need to line a wooden planter box?
You need to line your planter box if it’s made from wood or metal. The liner will help prolong the planter’s life. You don’t need to use a liner if the planter is made using plastic, ceramic, or concrete as they are quite durable by themselves.
Is it cheaper to build your own planter box?
Building raised planter boxes is very easy, and usually more cost effective than purchasing them.
How do you fill a wooden planter box?
Possibilities include crushed aluminum cans, plastic milk jugs, plastic water bottles, plastic soda pop bottles and crunched, empty potting soil and soil amendment bags. Upending a stack of nursery pots inside a planter box also works well.
What is the best wood to use for planter boxes?
There are several types of lumber to choose from:
- Pressure treated or composite boards are chemically treated to resist termites, mold and other damage.
- Cedar, white oak and redwood naturally resist termites and other insects.
- Soft woods such as pine work best for indoor planters.
Place a sheet of plastic or metal screen cloth over the entire bottom of the pot to keep drainage holes open. Alternatively, put shards of broken flowerpot or other pottery over the holes.
Should I line my raised garden bed with plastic?
You can line your raised bed to make it more durable and to prevent toxics from leaching into the soil. For lining, use landscape fabric found at garden supply stores or cloth fabric from clothing. Avoid non-porous plastic, as it can retain too much water and discourage beneficial insects and worms.
How deep should planter boxes be for vegetables?
Vegetable beds should be 12 to 18 inches deep. The material used to edge a raised bed should be stable, durable and attractive. It is the edging that gives the bed its “look” within the landscape. It also establishes the outline of the bed and holds the soil in place.
How much does a wooden planter box cost?
On average, it costs $30 – $120 to build a planter box for your garden. But this cost can reach up to $1,000 if you want to add extra layer to your planter, and the material you intend to use.
- Plastic Bottles. Recycle your plastic bottles by using them at the bottom of your big containers.
- Packing Peanuts. Reuse your Styrofoam packing peanuts as filler for large pots.
- Wood Chips. Don’t have enough of the previous two ingredients?
- Landscape Rocks.