- 1 How thick should a wood beam mantel be?
- 2 What type of wood is best for a mantel?
- 3 How much should a mantel overhang?
- 4 How deep should a mantel shelf be?
- 5 Is a wood mantel safe?
- 6 How do you build a floating mantel on a brick fireplace?
- 7 How do you build a fireplace mantel from scratch?
- 8 How high should a TV be mounted above a mantle?
- 9 What size should a mantel be?
- 10 How do you hang a floating mantel?
How thick should a wood beam mantel be?
A depth of 7 inches is ideal for most mantels, as it allows plenty of room to accommodate decorative objects. Keep in mind that the top and the sides of the mantel should be the same depth. First, use a measuring tape and pencil to measure and mark the mantel top to size.
What type of wood is best for a mantel?
Walnut is a popular choice for fireplace mantels. It is a harder and heavier type of wood than most and is extremely durable. The rich dark brown wood is an excellent for an impressive fireplace mantel. Hickory is also a great choice for a fireplace mantel if you are going for a unique look.
How much should a mantel overhang?
A mantel should extend a minimum of 3 inches beyond the firebox opening. If the fireplace has facing around the opening, the mantel can also extend 3 or more inches beyond that.
How deep should a mantel shelf be?
The typical depth of our mantels is anywhere between 10-12”. However, if you are looking for something a bit narrower, we can make it happen. Mantel Height: We recommend installing the mantel 4.5′ from the floor.
Is a wood mantel safe?
What are the fire hazard safety clearance requirements for wood burning fireplace surrounds? Fireplace mantels by Design the Space constructed from wood – sometimes referred to as wooden fireplace mantel surrounds – are combustible and fire hazard clearances need to be maintained since safety is the primary concern.
How do you build a floating mantel on a brick fireplace?
How to build a floating mantel (or shelf):
- Prep your surface. For me, that meant staining our fireplace white beforehand.
- Create mantel support.
- Create a hollow box for your mantel.
- Finish the mantel.
- Attach your shelf support onto the brick.
- Fit your mantel onto the mantel support.
- Style your finished mantel!
How do you build a fireplace mantel from scratch?
Step by Step: Building Your Own Mantel from Scratch
- Step 1 – Sketching. Begin by sketching your design on a sheet paper.
- Step 2 – Legs.
- Step 3 – Breast Plate.
- Step 4 – Attach Molding.
- Step 5 – Install Mantel Shelf.
- Step 6 – Decorative Accents.
- Step 7 – Painting Your Mantel.
How high should a TV be mounted above a mantle?
The rule of thumb is, if your mantel is less than four feet from the floor, you should mount your TV about 12 inches above it. This rule applies to a fireplace without a mantel as well.
What size should a mantel be?
Your mantel should be wider than your fireplace. Typically, a mantel should be a minimum of 3 inches past the firebox on each side. However, more can be better. The average mantel is approximately 6 inches wider than the fireplace on either side, and some can be even wider.
How do you hang a floating mantel?
How to Install a Mantel
- Remove the old mantel.
- Add support by drilling holes for lag shields, then install lag bolts into the brick.
- Measure carefully and drill corresponding holes for the wood mantel.
- Push the wooden mantel carefully into place using wood glue for extra support.