How do you make a simple wall shelf?
How to Build a Simple Wall Shelf
- Locate a wall stud and mark the location for the first shelf bracket on the wall.
- Install the bracket with screws that are long enough to penetrate the wall stud by at least an inch or so.
- Mark the location of the second stud.
What is the cheapest wood for shelves?
Pine. Pine is one of the most affordable and popular softwoods in the market. This wood variety is easy to use, paint, and stain, so it is ideal for people who are just starting to learn how to make wood shelves.
Is it cheaper to make your own shelving?
The pros of DIY shelving include: Lower Cost – Generally, buying the materials for your garage shelves should be cheaper than purchasing prefab – just make sure you do everything right the first time. Tailored – Making your own allows you to build shelving that meets your exact needs.
How thick should Wood be for shelves?
Thick Wood Bookshelves Use 3/4-inch thick materials for shelves and bookcase structure. If you’re using hardwood solids, it’s OK to boost the thickness to 1 1/4 inch for almost unlimited support. This type of shelf looks more like a mantel and is expensive, but adds the opulent look of craftsmanship.
What type of wood should I use for shelves?
If you are making shelves where the color and grain of the wood is an important part of the design, look for oak, maple, or cherry plywood —these options will still offer durability, but will help keep costs down compared to with non-manufactured hardwoods of the same species.
Is Poplar stronger than pine?
Which is a harder wood – pine or poplar? On the Janka scale, standard poplar is rated harder than Eastern pine. But, other pines, such as Radiata, Southern Yellow Pine, and True Pine, are much harder by a magnitude of 2 and 3.
How do you make a shelf bracket with a 2×4?
- Cut a 2″ x 2″ board to 7.5″.
- Cut a second piece to 6″.
- Use a miter saw to cut the 1″x2″ board to 5.5″ long, with a 45-degree angle at each side to form a trapezoid.
- Sand any rough edges.
- Use wood glue and finishing nails to connect the three pieces to form the shelf bracket.