- 1 What kind of wood should I use for a wooden planter?
- 2 Do I need to line a wooden planter?
- 3 What is the best way to line a wooden planter?
- 4 How do you fill a wooden planter box?
- 5 How deep should planter boxes be for vegetables?
- 6 Can I use plywood for a planter box?
- 7 What is the best wood to use for planter boxes?
- 8 What do you line planter boxes with?
- 9 How long do wood planters last?
- 10 What do you put in the bottom of a planter for drainage?
- 11 Should I line my raised garden bed with plastic?
What kind of wood should I use for a wooden planter?
So what type of wood is best for planter boxes? Cedar and Redwood are two of the most wood types available and you can’t go wrong with either one. Cedar is particularly favoured due to its durable, lightweight and crack resistant qualities.
Do I need to line a wooden planter?
You need to line your planter box if it’s made from wood or metal. The liner will help prolong the planter’s life. You don’t need to use a liner if the planter is made using plastic, ceramic, or concrete as they are quite durable by themselves.
What is the best way to line a wooden planter?
To protect the wood, line the planter inside with plastic, such as old plastic compost bags, fixing it with small nails. Make drainage holes before filling it with compost.
How do you fill a wooden planter box?
Possibilities include crushed aluminum cans, plastic milk jugs, plastic water bottles, plastic soda pop bottles and crunched, empty potting soil and soil amendment bags. Upending a stack of nursery pots inside a planter box also works well.
How deep should planter boxes be for vegetables?
Vegetable beds should be 12 to 18 inches deep. The material used to edge a raised bed should be stable, durable and attractive. It is the edging that gives the bed its “look” within the landscape. It also establishes the outline of the bed and holds the soil in place.
Can I use plywood for a planter box?
Untreated plywood is safe to use on your garden bed, so it is the best option. you’ll need to replace it every few years, but you’ll not need to worry about the toxic chemicals getting into your garden. If you go with the treated plywood, it is best to line some thick plastic to help keep things safe.
What is the best wood to use for planter boxes?
There are several types of lumber to choose from:
- Pressure treated or composite boards are chemically treated to resist termites, mold and other damage.
- Cedar, white oak and redwood naturally resist termites and other insects.
- Soft woods such as pine work best for indoor planters.
What do you line planter boxes with?
Line the entire planter with a sheet of plastic, trimming it so that it reaches but does not go over the rim. Staple the plastic all the way around the rim. Using a screwdriver or sharp stick, poke through the drilled drainage holes to let excess water drain out of the plastic liner.
How long do wood planters last?
The longevity of untreated wood used for a raised garden bed depends largely on its exposure to the elements. Most wood species can last between 5 to 15-years outside. Wood deteriorates quickly if exposed to water/moisture and sunlight.
- Plastic Bottles. Recycle your plastic bottles by using them at the bottom of your big containers.
- Packing Peanuts. Reuse your Styrofoam packing peanuts as filler for large pots.
- Wood Chips. Don’t have enough of the previous two ingredients?
- Landscape Rocks.
Should I line my raised garden bed with plastic?
You can line your raised bed to make it more durable and to prevent toxics from leaching into the soil. For lining, use landscape fabric found at garden supply stores or cloth fabric from clothing. Avoid non-porous plastic, as it can retain too much water and discourage beneficial insects and worms.