- 1 How do you modernize wood paneling without painting?
- 2 Can wood paneling look modern?
- 3 How do you cover old wood paneling?
- 4 How do you renew wood paneling?
- 5 What is the best color to paint wood paneling?
- 6 Is paneling making a comeback?
- 7 Can you paint wood paneling without sanding?
- 8 How do you paint over paneling and make it look good?
- 9 How can I make my paneling look good without paint?
- 10 What can I cover wood paneling with?
- 11 What can I put over paneling?
- 12 What can I replace paneling with?
- 13 What is the cheapest way to clean wood paneling?
- 14 Can you use old English on paneling?
- 15 Should you paint wood paneling?
How do you modernize wood paneling without painting?
How to Decorate Wood Paneling Without Painting It
- Paint the trim. Yes, there is some painting involved, but NOT of the paneling – just the trim around the paneling.
- Bring in solid colors on furniture.
- Create multiple focal points.
- Use eye-catching art.
- Layer in texture and pattern.
Can wood paneling look modern?
These days wood paneling can be reinvented into something modern and not the least bit dowdy. Since the days of shag carpet and avocado appliances, the home décor staple has a whole new look.
How do you cover old wood paneling?
A “simple” way to hide your wood paneling is to wallpaper over it. But there is a trick to it because normal wallpaper will still show the grooves and you need a flat surface for proper wallpapering. The secret is to use a wallpaper liner (like this) first.
How do you renew wood paneling?
Mix a polishing solution to restore shine to the wood paneling. Mix together 1 cup of water and 1/4 cup of vinegar. Add 1/2 cup of mineral oil and 20 drops of lemon oil to the mixture. Mix the solution well to ensure all of the items are incorporated.
What is the best color to paint wood paneling?
Shades of Elegance. Dark paneling in the living room can be depressing. If you’d love dove gray painted walls with sharp white trim, don’t rip out paneled walls — just treat them like regular walls and paint them. A coat of white primer will ensure that your top coat goes on easier and stays true to color.
Is paneling making a comeback?
Bringing the natural world indoors, wood paneling is making a comeback. In the ’60s and ’70s, wood paneling, often made in plywood-sized sheets, was popular in home decor. But like avocado-colored refrigerators, the look didn’t last. Now refreshed, wood paneling is returning to designers’ playbooks.
Can you paint wood paneling without sanding?
So, yes you can paint paneling without sanding it first! Wood paneling is so porous it will suck up every little drop of paint it can get. Use a latex based primer paint with a stain blocker. That paneling has been there for decades and will definitely benefit.
How do you paint over paneling and make it look good?
When painting for wood paneling, choose either a stain-blocking latex primer or an oil-based primer. Apply a thin coat of primer with a roller. Use a brush to fill in any grooves. Allow the primer to dry a full 24 hours before painting over it.
How can I make my paneling look good without paint?
How To Decorate & Update Wood Paneling Without Painting
- Make the paneling part of the decorating scheme. The furniture should be similarly colored. Make use of warm lighting. Hang all the simple wall decorations.
- Turn the attention away from the paneling. Use a collage style to hang up wall decorations. Bold focal point.
What can I cover wood paneling with?
You can either paint over your panels or hang wall liner over them. Wall liner is an extra-sturdy wallpaper that will cover but not hide the grooves in your paneling. Alternatively, you can decorate wood panels with bookshelves, drapes, or art to minimize their appearance.
What can I put over paneling?
Many suggest using drywall mud over the grooves between the panels, sanding the paneling, applying primer, then painting. Another suggestion is to use siliconized acrylic-latex caulk to fill the grooves..
What can I replace paneling with?
Perhaps the most enduringly popular option for updating plain paneling is wainscoting. Wainscoting is the installation of paneling that covers the bottom part of a wall and is topped with a wainscot cap.
What is the cheapest way to clean wood paneling?
Use a half cup of laundry detergent mixed with a gallon of warm water in a bucket to clean extremely dirty paneling. Wipe dry with a clean cloth. After drying and cleaning, use the vinegar and mineral oil solution to shine the paneling. Add 20 drops of lemon oil to give your homemade cleanser a fresh scent.
Can you use old English on paneling?
Simply identify your stain, Light Woods or Dark Woods, and apply to cabinets, furniture, paneling and floors to hide unsightly nicks and scratches. If you’ve got wood damage, you need Old English Scratch Cover to bring out the natural beauty of your wood surfaces.
Should you paint wood paneling?
If your wood-paneled walls seem dark and dated, painting is a great way to brighten them up. In a room with wood-paneled walls—particularly if that wood is a veneer—your instinct may be to start fresh, either by tearing out the paneling or by concealing it behind drywall.