- 1 What type of wood is best for a mantel?
- 2 How thick should a wood mantel be?
- 3 How do you hang a heavy mantel on drywall?
- 4 How do you hang a mantel?
- 5 How do you build a floating mantel on a brick fireplace?
- 6 How much should a mantel overhang?
- 7 How far should a mantel stick out?
- 8 How deep should a mantel shelf be?
What type of wood is best for a mantel?
Walnut is a popular choice for fireplace mantels. It is a harder and heavier type of wood than most and is extremely durable. The rich dark brown wood is an excellent for an impressive fireplace mantel. Hickory is also a great choice for a fireplace mantel if you are going for a unique look.
How thick should a wood mantel be?
A depth of 7 inches is ideal for most mantels, as it allows plenty of room to accommodate decorative objects. Keep in mind that the top and the sides of the mantel should be the same depth.
How do you hang a heavy mantel on drywall?
Holding your drill at a 45 degree angle downward, drill a pilot hole through the shelf and drywall and into the stud. Install a finishing nail into each of the pilot holes with a nail gun or hammer; the nails must be long enough to penetrate at least 1 inch into the drywall. These nails will secure the mantle in place.
How do you hang a mantel?
Slide Over Bolts Method
- Locate the studs behind the brick, stone, or faux veneer.
- Drive 1/2in lag screws through each of the studs.
- Have a helper support the mantel while you mark the location of the support rods on the back of the beam.
- Apply construction adhesive into the holes.
- Slide into place, admire, and enjoy!
How do you build a floating mantel on a brick fireplace?
How to build a floating mantel (or shelf):
- Prep your surface. For me, that meant staining our fireplace white beforehand.
- Create mantel support.
- Create a hollow box for your mantel.
- Finish the mantel.
- Attach your shelf support onto the brick.
- Fit your mantel onto the mantel support.
- Style your finished mantel!
How much should a mantel overhang?
A mantel should extend a minimum of 3 inches beyond the firebox opening. If the fireplace has facing around the opening, the mantel can also extend 3 or more inches beyond that.
How far should a mantel stick out?
The proportions of your mantel in relationship to your fireplace are important. Generally, your mantel should extend a minimum of three inches beyond the opening of your fireplace.
How deep should a mantel shelf be?
The typical depth of our mantels is anywhere between 10-12”. However, if you are looking for something a bit narrower, we can make it happen. Mantel Height: We recommend installing the mantel 4.5′ from the floor.