How do you use a simple dowel jig?
Edge joints step-by-step
- Mark dowel locations. Cut the boards 1-in. extra long and butt them together. Mark dowel center lines 2 in. from each end and 8 to 12 in.
- Drill dowel holes. Align the jig with the center lines and drill. Control the hole’s depth using a stop collar. Glue dowels into one set of holes.
How do you drill an accurate dowel hole?
Drill dead-on dowel joints
- Mark locations with a marking knife or sharp pencil.
- Use sharp brad point bits instead of twist bits (because you typically drill dowel holes on end or edge grain, which encourages twist bits to wander).
- Mount a stop collar to your bit to get consistent hole depths.
How strong is a dowel joint?
Test results show that dowels are the strongest method for creating this type of joint. The dowel joint in solid oak failed at an average of 650 pounds pressure, mortise and tenon joints failed at 500 pounds and biscuits failed at 325 pounds. Variations in the pressure at failure was less than 5 percent.
What size dowel should I use?
Diameter: Ideally, the diameter of the dowel should be approximately 1/3 – and never more than 1/2 – of the thickness of the wood being joined. For example, if your product is 1” thick, you should be considering a dowel pin 3/8” in diameter. If your product is 1-1/4” thick, a 7/16” diameter would be more suitable.
What are the disadvantages of a dowel joint?
The main disadvantage is that they are weak. When it comes to tenon and mortise joints, the face grain cheeks of the tenon are completely in contact with the face grain side of the mortise. The glue also holds best in this situation.
What can I use instead of wooden dowels?
For a super-strong joint that doesn’t require a lot of precise fitting, try using epoxy and all-thread rod as a substitute for dowels and woodworker’s glue. Drill your holes in the same location as you would for a dowel assembly, but make the holes about 1⁄ 16 ” larger than the diameter of your all-thread rod.
Should you glue dowels?
You don’t need much glue, as too much glue will either squeeze out or make it difficult to insert the dowels.