- 1 Do I need to line a wooden planter box?
- 2 Is it cheaper to build your own planter box?
- 3 What do you line a planter box with?
- 4 What’s best to line a wooden planter?
- 5 What do you put in the bottom of a wooden planter?
- 6 How do you fill a wooden planter box?
- 7 What do you put in the bottom of a planter for drainage?
- 8 How much does a wooden planter box cost?
Do I need to line a wooden planter box?
You need to line your planter box if it’s made from wood or metal. The liner will help prolong the planter’s life. You don’t need to use a liner if the planter is made using plastic, ceramic, or concrete as they are quite durable by themselves.
Is it cheaper to build your own planter box?
Building raised planter boxes is very easy, and usually more cost effective than purchasing them.
What do you line a planter box with?
Line your planter boxes porous landscape fabric. The goal here is not to prevent the wood from getting wet—that’s impossible in outdoor settings—but rather to prevent the potting soil from directly contacting the wood.
What’s best to line a wooden planter?
To protect the wood, line the planter inside with plastic, such as old plastic compost bags, fixing it with small nails. Make drainage holes before filling it with compost.
Place a sheet of plastic or metal screen cloth over the entire bottom of the pot to keep drainage holes open. Alternatively, put shards of broken flowerpot or other pottery over the holes.
How do you fill a wooden planter box?
Possibilities include crushed aluminum cans, plastic milk jugs, plastic water bottles, plastic soda pop bottles and crunched, empty potting soil and soil amendment bags. Upending a stack of nursery pots inside a planter box also works well.
- Plastic Bottles. Recycle your plastic bottles by using them at the bottom of your big containers.
- Packing Peanuts. Reuse your Styrofoam packing peanuts as filler for large pots.
- Wood Chips. Don’t have enough of the previous two ingredients?
- Landscape Rocks.
How much does a wooden planter box cost?
On average, it costs $30 – $120 to build a planter box for your garden. But this cost can reach up to $1,000 if you want to add extra layer to your planter, and the material you intend to use.