How do you make a wooden beam mantel?
- Step 1: Cut 45• miter cuts at each end on two of your 1x8x6 boards.
- Step 2: Glue and nail the boards in place.
- Step 3: Measure and cut your end caps to size.
- Step 4: Distress your beam.
- Step 5: Fill the wood seam with wood putty.
- Step 6: Sand your beam.
How thick should a mantle be?
A depth of 7 inches is ideal for most mantels, as it allows plenty of room to accommodate decorative objects. Keep in mind that the top and the sides of the mantel should be the same depth. First, use a measuring tape and pencil to measure and mark the mantel top to size.
What wood is used for Mantle?
Softwood. In most cases, hardwood is the best type of wood to use for mantels above fireplaces. Because of its hardness, it’s durable and lasts for years while maintaining the appearance of newness.
What is a floating mantel?
As the name suggests, a floating mantel is a fireplace mantel that appears to be floating on your wall, usually above a fireplace. Floating wood mantels are typically hung at a height of 54 in. to 64 in.