- 1 What do you put in the bottom of a window box?
- 2 How many flowers should you put in a window box?
- 3 How deep should a window flower box be?
- 4 What is the best flower for window boxes?
- 5 How do you make a wooden box?
- 6 What do you line planter boxes with?
- 7 What do you put on wood to make it waterproof?
- 8 Do I need to line a wooden planter box?
- 9 How do I keep my planter box from rotting?
Always make sure your window box has drainage holes. To aid drainage, place 2 inches of nonbiodegradable packing peanuts or old wine corks in the bottom of the box, and then cover with landscape fabric to prevent soil from seeping out. Next, fill the box halfway with potting soil, and add your plants.
How many flowers should you put in a window box?
For a 2′ window box, use 2-3 geraniums, for a 3′ window box use 3-4 geraniums. In between the main plants, put in a filler plant- something that stays lower and more compact such as lobelia, calibrachoa, compact verbenas, flowering vinca or petunias.
How deep should a window flower box be?
A minimum of 8 inches in depth and 8 inches from front to back is required to have enough room for a selection of plants. Larger–say a foot in depth and width–is even better, particularly if you want to include a lot of plants and want them to fill out enough to overflow the box.
What is the best flower for window boxes?
Petunias, geraniums, zinnias, nasturtiums, and begonias are good choices for main-theme flowers. Fill in with things like inch plant, ivy, euonymus, heather, or vinca, which will cascade over the edge of the box. Impatiens do well in shady locations. More subtle choices include coleus, heliotrope, and salvia.
How do you make a wooden box?
- Cut all of your wood pieces on a table saw to the measurements listed above.
- Once the pieces are cut, sand any rough edges.
- Prime and paint all the pieces.
- Lay one of the sides of your box face down on a table or flat surface.
- Glue with wood glue.
- Repeat with the second side and the other 2 supports.
What do you line planter boxes with?
Line the entire planter with a sheet of plastic, trimming it so that it reaches but does not go over the rim. Staple the plastic all the way around the rim. Using a screwdriver or sharp stick, poke through the drilled drainage holes to let excess water drain out of the plastic liner.
What do you put on wood to make it waterproof?
There are three surefire ways to waterproof your wood for years to come.
- Use linseed or Tung oil to create a beautiful and protective hand-rubbed finish.
- Seal the wood with coating of polyurethane, varnish, or lacquer.
- Finish and waterproof wood simultaneously with a stain-sealant combo.
Do I need to line a wooden planter box?
You need to line your planter box if it’s made from wood or metal. The liner will help prolong the planter’s life. You don’t need to use a liner if the planter is made using plastic, ceramic, or concrete as they are quite durable by themselves.
How do I keep my planter box from rotting?
The best way to prevent deck planters from rotting is with a liner. Lining a wood planter prevents water and fungi from contacting the wood. Preventing rotting by separating that which is good for the plants, water and fungi from the wood.