What kind of wood should I use for a serving tray?
If you choose that option, be sure to use stock that is suitable for cutting boards, such as walnut, cherry, maple, birch, or other closed pore hardwoods. Woods such as oak and mahogany, are best avoided due to their open pores that can trap food particles and collect bacteria. Rip the strips for the tray.
How do you waterproof a wooden tray?
There are three surefire ways to waterproof your wood for years to come.
- Use linseed or Tung oil to create a beautiful and protective hand-rubbed finish.
- Seal the wood with coating of polyurethane, varnish, or lacquer.
- Finish and waterproof wood simultaneously with a stain-sealant combo.
How do you seal a wooden tray?
To protect your serving tray, seal it before use with 2-3 coats of a spray sealer. There you have it! A DIY Farmhouse Style Serving Tray with handles that adds style and function to your decor! I love the industrial vibes that the handles and the gray textured wood bring to this serving tray.
How do you finish a wooden tray?
Applying a food-safe finish to unfinished wood tables or kitchenware is a simple process.
- Sand the item with 320-grit sandpaper until smooth.
- When using an oil finish, apply a generous amount to a cloth.
- Apply wax with a cloth until the surface is covered.
- Allow newly finished pieces to dry and cure fully.
How do you treat a wooden serving tray?
Spray the tray with a simple household cleanser, such as a window cleaner, or a solution of water and vinegar. Do not spray with anything that creates foam or suds. You do not want to run water over or the tray or submerge it in a sink full of water. Wipe off the cleanser with a damp rag or paper towels.
What is the best waterproofing for wood?
According to them, these are the nine most effective wood sealers:
- Thompson’s Water Seal.
- Rainguard Premium Wood Sealer.
- DEFY Crystal Clear Sealer.
- Anchorseal 2.
- Roxil Wood Protection Cream.
- Eco-Advance Exterior Wood Waterproofer.
- Ready Seal Stain and Sealer for Wood.
- Pure Tung Oil Natural Wood Sealer.